Monday, October 28, 2013

The Weekend

Definitely a mixed bag.  I took Saturday off from running for a couple of reasons, mostly because I had planned to and secondly because I was on-call Friday night and ended up sleeping in really late as a result.  I still think I needed the day off.  The symptoms or what not,  left over from the flu shot seemed to be abating as well.  Not as congested, not coughing as much and my energy level was definitely improving.

The upside to the weekend... nothing like eating ribs, pizza and getting to spend the night with Melissa in Denver to change my state and outlook on life.  Not to mention I got ten hours of sleep Saturday night!  Hoping the next week and half goes by quickly until we can get together again for a week.  Anyway, serious mood improvment.

The downside.... I decided to attempt a four hour run on Sunday after getting back.  Everything started off well enough but thank god I was only about a quarter of a mile from Criterium Bike's when I realized I really needed to use their facilities.  The second hour went well and it seemed that maybe all would be just fine but I was wrong.  At or about 2:40 into the run I just imploded.  I can't describe the sensation completely but imagine a balloon deflating.  I just sunk.  Kept plodding along until 3:15 then I was walking the rest of the way home.  Everything from the waist down was hurting with deep aches all the way to the bone it felt like.

Moving around after I got home I think I got a taste of what it might feel like to be 100 years old.  Feet, ankles, knees, calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes... everything felt as if it had been bashed in by a baseball bat.  So, so weird.  In the grocery store Sunday evening I was basically using the cart like a walker.  I seriously felt THAT beat up.  I don't get it.  I just don't get it.

With less than four weeks until the JFK 50 I have to say my goals are becoming more modest with each passing day.  But all things being equal I did feel better yesterday, at least for a good chunk of the run, than I did all last week so maybe I am close to being out of the woods.  Regardless I am just going to keep on going the best that I can between now and the race and just do the best that I can training and then in the race.  It's all I can do at this point.  As Papa Wooten used to always tell me, "Always do your best and everything will be just fine."

Today is a day off and besides just hoping to bounce back I am also going to dig back a bit deeper and try to figure out when exactly the train jumped the tracks.  Talking to Melissa last night we were discussing it and I told her that it seems like this slump, as she called it, has been going on for two weeks now.  Up until then everything was just clicking along just fine.  But then again, the situation might just resolve itself and I will never know. 

Ugh... running.

1 comment:

  1. don't be so hard on yourself. You accomplished so much this summer that whatever happens the rest of the year doesn't matter. When you doubt, take a look at that big buckle that you got a week after riding 100 miles! I'm still not ready to get serious about training and I've been doing plenty of resting! Oh, and that flu shot gets lots of people sick!