Saturday, February 2, 2013

MAF Test

Today we got to actually see if all of the disciplined, controlled, heart rate targeted running (and riding) that I have been doing for the past two months is paying off.

I am happy to report that I think it is!

I went to the track at Manitou High School where I have not been since November to do this test.  It was a great day with only a light breeze out of the east.  It was not significant enough to cause me any problems.  The temps were comfortable and the sun was shining.  Great conditions for a day of running ten-plus miles on the track.

I started up the first three miles as a warm up and kept my heart rate below 135.  Of course the first mile or two the heart rate monitor was all over the place so I really had to go by feel until it settled down.  Regardless the first three miles felt a little tough and it made me wonder how much of it was impacted by yesterday's ride?

Then the next two miles things got more real.  Enough dicking around warming up... time to pick it up for the next two miles holding the heart rate at 135-145.  I felt like I had to step on the gas a bit to get the heart rate steady but once there I quickly became comfortable with the level of effort.  I did those two miles in 16:45 with an average heart rate of 138, so right in the safe zone... not too low and not too high.

And now for the test.  Run four miles with my heart rate between 135 and 145 and try to keep things consistent.  I wanted to tighten it up so I worked really hard to keep the heart rate above 140 BPM the entire time.  The results are pretty awesome I think. 

For the fist mile avg HR144, 7:55. Mile 2 - avg HR 144, 7:59. Mile 3 - avg HR 145, 8:02, Mile 4 - avg HR 145, 7:58.

Then I just did a cool down mile or so with an avg HR of 136 time of 9:22.

So all in all I think it went very well.  If I had to venture a guess, if I would have done the same test two months ago mile per mile, my times for each of the four miles of the test would have probably been up around 9:30 or even higher per mile. 

Twenty mile run tomorrow. I am going to run up to Barr Camp earlier than everyone else doing the Fourth Annual Anti-Superbowl Run then run down when everybody else comes down.  I will be curious to see what the trail conditions are like above Barr Camp.   Should be fun!

Definitely wore a rut into the track today.

No comments:

Post a Comment