Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sleep Running

What a strange and bifurcated weekend this has been. I found out Friday afternoon early that I was going to have to work Friday night which was the result of the outage we had the Friday before. Not that I was planning anything great but I did plan to have the evening to myself. To make a long story short, took a break from work around 2:00 p.m. to go run then I saw the movie Defiance which I planned to see later in the evening. Came home ate some Chinese take-out then started working at 8:00 and that lasted until two in the morning. On the upside I didn't get to have my Friday/weekly cigar so I am up one there.

Slept in Saturday then the same thing as normal... went and ran, came home and lifted then went to run errands. Nothing outstanding to report except for an unexplained impulse to go to my least favorite mall in town for no apparent reason. I went, I walked around and I left.

Something did occur to me when I was walking Roxy Saturday afternoon. I was trying to figure out what I was going to have for dinner and then I realized that in fact I was not that hungry. Uh oh. Not good.

I ran four miles Saturday morning after eating really nothing more than a granola bar. Then I came home and lifted, then I had left over Chinese food for lunch around noon or so. It was then four in the afternoon when I realized I was not that hungry. So yeah, "uh oh." Bad sign... a definite possible symptom of over training which I have been on the edge of for weeks now.

I've been feeling down and feeling a lack of motivation... another sign of over training. Then I catch the lack of appetite? Thankfully I caught it as early as I did. I mean this isn't anything new, I've been here SO many times. However, I typically don't catch the eating thing for a few days after it begins. I got it day one this time.

SO! To combat this issue, I ate a whole medium pizza with the works last night and watched a movie. |) It didn't solve all the problems but at least a step in the right direction.

I went to bed early last night and guess I was sleeping funny, I had strange dreams... hmm, could have been the pizza? Anyway, I had this dream that I started my run for Sunday then my run was over but in my dream, though the run was over and my Garmin showed me the time and distance I did not remember a thing from the run! Not a thing. Like I did the whole run while in a black out. Well I woke up then a little before four and I couldn't get back to sleep, but that is what I mean by "sleep running." I must add that I was sort of ticked because I felt like having to run today then was almost repetitive, regardless if I remembered the run in my sleep or not!

It was twelve degrees above zero when left the house this morning. I had time to kill so instead of making breakfast I went to my favorite place close to my house to eat. I knew I had a lot of miles ahead of me so a big breakfast wasn't a bad idea especially now that I am aware that I might not want to eat and could forget. I have to stay on top of this eating thing until this phase passes.

I STILL had time to kill so I went for a drive through The Garden of the Gods. It was cold as I was saying and sort of foggy. The cold was making the fog just freeze so it was really beautiful in there this morning. I got the bonus of having a couple cool songs playing on the radio too, so it was almost like my own in real life music videos as I was driving. Learning to Fly by the Foo Fighters was the first song and then Blurry by Puddle of Mudd.

My run was great and completely different than last week. It was cold still and stayed cold the entire 4.5 hours I was out. My IPod froze, no kidding, after 2.5 hours. I was in a really cold spot when that happened. I was concerned because well, I'm just not in the mood to replace that IPod yet. Fortunately it warmed up in my pack and started working again an hour or so later.

After my run hit McD's and came home and woofed that down before hitting the weights. Even my weight workout went well.

YAY! Now I get a real day off tomorrow! No running and no lifting. What is really great is that now I am at the phase of my training where I start having TWO days off a week. Mondays and Fridays. Of course my mileages go up all of my other days but having those two days off will go a long way to help keep my from getting injured or more burned out. I should start bouncing back soon.

It has been an interesting week... a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment