Thursday, November 11, 2010

Gettin' it up!

I haven't had much time to write lately. Or more accurately, I haven't had a hell of a lot to write about. My focus has been on trying to figure out what I want to do next year, trying to get in decent shape to start training for next year and just working to be more consistent in my running and lifting overall. Trying to find that rhythm which I think I have found.

I had a great visit to MD in October and got to do a 20 miler on the Appalachian Trail. I have now done all of the AT from PA to WV, through MD. I came up with a new term on that run calling it a "Dessert Run." A Dessert Run is a hard long run that is fun as hell that you do or get to do because you have put in the miles and the residual fitness allows you to do that run on a whim for no other purpose than the pure enjoyment of that run, period.

The past two weeks I've been striving to get my overall training hours per week over 10 hours. Hence the title to this blog. "Gettin' it up!" What did you think I was referring to?

My goal at least for the next several weeks or until January or so, is to get my training volume, lifting, running, walking, climbing, etc, up to 12 hours or more a week. I also want to do one long run in December and another in January of the 50K distance, followed with a 30/20 mile run, over the first weekend of February. Going by this schedule, once that first weekend in February is done, I will be setup to tackle pretty much anything that I decide to do the rest of the year.

I've been going to the climbing gym with Melissa lately and have been enjoying that. It seems that my trust in the rope and gear is increasing as I am able to let go more easily and come down after getting to the top of a wall. I think that I am getting a little better at climbing. I've improved enough that I dropped some money on a new harness so I am intending to work on the climbing thing for a while anyway. It amazes me just how much of a workout it is and how exhausted I feel after an hour or so in the gym. Overall though it is fun to go with Melissa and watch her gracefully scale a wall and come down smiling.

A few friends have thrown their money down for the 2011 LT100 race. I wish them luck. For right now I don't have any interest in running the race next year but am considering offering my services to be a pacer for anyone who might need or want me as one. I feel a huge karmic debt, both to Carolyn and the universe for having such an awesome pacer when I ran Leadville this year that I know I must pace someone in return to bring things back into balance. I'm not saying 100% no to the LT100 either. If things are rocking for me and look really good for me come June, I might reconsider. But I will only reconsider if for instance I do super exceptionally well in Lake City AND getting a big buckle in Leadville looks promising. I mean very promising.

It's gonna be a busy rest of the month. Melissa will officially be moved in come the 24th of November, ushering in a whole new chapter in both of our lives. I can't help but think god bless the woman, and hope to hell she really knows what she is getting herself into! :) It is all very exciting.

My parents are coming out for the Thanksgiving holiday and that will be the first time they meet Melissa. Again, something else that is exciting. After that, December, Hanukkah, Christmas, New Years and 2011. It will all be here in the blink of an eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment