I think that I have nailed down for the most part what I want to do next year. There are so many "and's", "if's" and "buts" to the algorithm that makes it a little confusing but for the most part the planning is firm. I haven't talked too much about it, but it is official, I did send in my application for the Hardrock 100 this week and getting into that race or not, is the crux of the entire 2011 running season for me.
1. Jan 15, Twin Mountain Trudge. Have to go back and do this one again. A 22 mile really tough run in Wyoming, in January... enough said.
a. February 5th or so, Hardrock Lottery results will be posted. This will drive the rest of the season.
2. March 12, Salida HALF Marathon. I do love the marathon course but I can't seem to run it without getting banged up in some weird way so this year I will still support the event but only run the 13.1 mile option. UNLESS, the temps are in the 70's, and there is zero snow or ice or mud on the course then I "might" consider it. But really I'll gain more by running the 13.1 and not getting hurt than running more.
3. March 26-27, 24 Hours of Moab. This one is tentative. Not high on my list but a possibility nevertheless. If I get into Hardrock I will more than likely be running this one.
4. April 15, Desert Rats Trail Running Festival, 50 miles. There is a greater chance that I will do this one as opposed to Moab mostly because the weather might possibly be nicer. Another tentative. Again, if I get into Hardrock I will more than likely be running this one.
5. May 21, Jemez 50 miler. Regardless, this is a definite for me.
6. June 19, San Juan Solstice. Another definite. I want to go back and drop an hour or more off of this years time. I ran an honest 13:53:54 there this past year but was tasked to do 12:30. I would still like to fulfill that task. Plus I just love that race, period.
7. July 8, Hardrock. This is where the decision tree starts. If I am selected I will run it, period, and that will be the end of my 2011 running season pretty much, at least the big races. But realistically I have maybe a one in six shot of getting in. One caveat to consider, and that is the possibility that I am not too far down the wait list and can manage to get in as others drop before the race. That unknown could make life very interesting if that is the case.
a. If I don't get in and there is what I will call a "scheduling conflict" with something else I might want to do that weekend in July, then I will definitely be volunteering to go to Silverton to pace anyone who might need or want me to pace them. Otherwise if there isn't a conflict, it will be a non-running weekend and I will go with our primary planned outing that weekend.
1. If I don't get in I will probably run the Leadville Marathon, July 2nd
and also the Leadville 50 miler on July 17th. Mostly for fun, I will
go for better times and also to prepare for possibility of pacing for the 100.
8. August 20-21, Pacer, Leadville 100. I'll do from Winfield all the way in or from any other section someone might need.
Definitely after that I will be done for the season. Some light races here and there in the fall like this year and also scheming for 2012. But for now, I think this is is enough to keep my mind occupied and motivate me to get some miles in the next few months.
Last race of the fall series this weekend and I am excited for it and the weather is probably going to be winter like for certain. We've had three summer type of races in the fall series, and the next one is guaranteed to be winter conditions, so I ask, where was the fall part? Also looking forward to the Turkey Trot in two weeks with my family and Melissa. We are already scheming on how much faster Melissa will do in this one. Can't wait to find out.