Friday, March 19, 2010

What a Week!

No two ways about it, this has been a long week. I haven't ran since trying to run last Sunday, well excluding that little 50 yard jog in the park Wednesday evening. I've been really good but honestly it isn't like I've had a choice, my knee wouldn't have let me run even if I wanted to.

Riding the bike... Geesh... Ick... ARGH!!!!! Let's just say it is not my favorite activity. It is like watching paint dry to me. I don't get it either because really I ride the same places that I run for the most part and I see all of the same things. So why does my mind resist riding a bike so much? Maybe it is because deep down at the core I am a runner and not a cyclist. Sure I've ridden a lot in the past, both road bikes and mountain bikes but even back then when I took those rides seriously I still considered myself a runner more so than a rider.

I have to give credit where credit is due though, I did get three really good workouts in this week, over three hours total riding the bike. It didn't bother my knee and it did get me out of the house and riding enabled me to keep moving. I'll just look at it as a bitter pill to be swallowed, or like I told the boys years ago, "you don't necessarily have to like it, you just have to do it." Regardless of my feeling about riding, I can see now where it will be so important in the pursuit of my goal which is to finish Leadville this year. Not only is it important now as a training tool to allow me to work around my injury, it will also be important for me to incorporate it into my weekly regime once I am running again for cross training benefits on the days that I do not run.

So, like it, love it, hate it, whatever, I'm making the commitment to do the saddle time this year in order to achieve my goals.

Now a neat thing about riding this week is that I have been riding my road bike past a BMX track everyday. Those who knew me as a kid might remember my PASSION for BMX, my bikes, racing, and jumping anything I could. Well guess what? Apparently all of that has not been lost so I am putting it out there that once Leadville is done this year, Andy is gonna get a new BMX bike and start riding and maybe even racing again. 42 is probably the perfect age to start a racing career in BMX I bet.

Today's walk went well. My first walk this week where I have not felt any twinges, or pain in my knee or lower leg at all. This is a great sign. I am so glad this situation is moving in the direction that it is. I don't think it will be long and I will be running again.

Speaking of running again... no more stupid races on risky courses or any runs on risky routes in general. I can not afford to get hurt again. If I am running on anything sketchy, terrain wise I will be ultra careful.

I don't remember the last time I went this long without running but I am guessing it was last August. Things are getting better and I can see this week fading into my memories as my training commences again here in the not so distant future. This has been a week. Next week will be better.

Next week will be better.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you're living up to the name of your blog! Had lunch with your Mom and David on Sunday. Food wasn't the greatest but the conversation was good.

    ReplyDelete