Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Plan B

This will be a short update. I am guessing that things are still getting better, but the progression seems to be slower now. Sure I can do a lot more than I could three weeks ago but barely any more than I did last week for certain.

Some days are good, some are bad. Yesterday I ran three miles relatively pain free and I mean "pain free," as in what I would feel on a normal day. Today my left knee was hurting as bad as it was last week after a hard run. To make matters worse, the location of the pain seemed to have moved as well.

I am still waiting on the custom inserts for my shoes and I am hoping they will make a difference. Anything at this point to get past this injury: inserts, tiger balm, snake oil, sacrificial chickens! Anything.

After much thought today I am going to try my old running shoes tomorrow and see if that makes any difference. I have half a theory that because I changed to two new pairs and a new model a month before Salida, the possibility is there that something in those shoes may have caused me issues or caused something to weaken to the point where it may have caused me to be more vulnerable to an injury than I would have been otherwise. At this point it sure can't hurt.

My goal was to be 99.9% pain free by the end of this week. After today's run I just don't see that as being possible. The idea of Plan B did enter my mind during the run today. Maybe I should just take break, give myself some time to heal and maybe after that just look at this year as a building year. Look at Leadville as a 2011 option, not 2010. Plan B.

On a good note, the wind was not so bad this evening and that made the run so much more comfortable. The Incline Club starts their Thursday night workouts tomorrow night and I plan to go to that. The weather is getting slightly warmer and it seems that while everyone else is now starting to succumb to allergies mine have passed for the season already.

Next week I will have a more clear picture one way or the other I think in regards to the rest of the season. Anyway... that's all I have for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment